Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Easy Roast Chicken for a Sunday Dinner!

I love roast chicken. There is something so homey and comforting about yummy roast chicken. And it always looks impressive. The only thing is that I have never until now tried to make roast chicken. There was always something intimidating about a entire naked chicken! But I have found a solution for the intimidating roast chicken. I used skin-on and bone-in chicken thighs, legs, and even breasts (for the white meat lover, but dark meat in this case is MUCH more juicy and flavorful). The best part about it is it's cheaper than boneless and skinless chicken pieces, and cooks much faster than an entire chicken!

I HAVE NO PICTURE OF MY CREATION THIS TIME, I'M SORRY!
I used about 6 legs, 4 thighs, and 2 breasts for this amount of rub. You definitely want bone-in and skin-on pieces, it will be moist and flavorful!

Spiced Dry Rub

4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. ground thyme
1 tsp. white pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Mix together in a bowl.
*To save time, you can even double the recipe to store for the next time you make it.
Rub the mix all over each chicken piece, under the skin, too.

I layered baby carrots and onions in a baking dish. Place the chicken pieces on top. You can also place the chicken right on the dish without carrots and onions. I also sliced some lemons and layered them over the chicken to make it look pretty, and garnished with fresh thyme stems.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. The skin should look crisp and browned.

I served the chicken with garlic mashed potatoes and lion house rolls (you can find the rolls recipe on the internet).

No comments:

Post a Comment