Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Summer Desserts are my WEAKNESS!


p.s. I know this pic isn't the greatest, it was a last minute photo. I working on my food photography! (:

I love desserts, especially the fresh summer desserts made with all those fruits that are in season! I have been trying to find a good, yet classic strawberry shortcake recipe. I have tried many, but I think this may be my favorite! I could eat the biscuit alone! I know it looks like a lot of whipped cream in the picture, but it's really not. With all the strawberries, you need that amount! Just maybe eat a healthy salad for lunch and dinner the next day! Hehe...It's all about moderation! That's my version of moderation!

Strawberry Shortcake

Strawberry Mixture

2 pt. strawberries, hulled and sliced

1/2 c. granulated sugar

1/2 tsp, vanilla

For the biscuit:

2 c, all-purpose flour

1 Tbsp. double acting baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

3 Tbsp. firmly packed brown sugar

1 stick (1/2 c.) cold unsalted butter, cut into bits

2/3 c. plus 1 Tbsp, milk

2 tsp. granulated sugar

For the topping:

1 c. heavy cream, well-chilled

2 Tbsp. confectioners sugar

3 Tbsp, sour cream

Making biscuits: Into a bow!, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add brown sugar and butter. Blend until it resembles coarse meal.

Add milk and stir until it forms a dough. Drop the dough in 8 mounds on a buttered baking sheet, letting the mounds touch to form a ring. Sprinkle it with granulated sugar and bake the biscuit in a 425 oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Carefully transfer the biscuit to a rack and cool. Cut the top one-quarter off the entire biscuit ring with a serrated knife. Transfer the bottom to a platter and spoon the macerated strawberries and the liquid over it.

In a bowl. beat the cream with the confectioners sugar until it just holds a soft peak. Beat in the sour cream and beat the mixture until it is stiff. (It is best to use a chilled bowl). Top the macerated strawberries with the cream mixture and the remain­ing 1/4 of the strawberries and cover the mixture with the biscuit top.

Serves 8. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment