Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A healthy YET satisfying breakfast sandwich!



In response to all of us out there trying to eat healthier, I will share a breakfast sandwich recipe I made for my family. Typically, a lot of our efforts to make healthy food leave us feeling a little less than satisfied and sometimes grumpy. At least that is what happens to me! I need flavor, not fat, but good flavor to satisfy my palate and tummy. I could never be successful on a bland, bunny rabbit diet! Just not me! This sandwich is full of lean protein, whole grain fiber, and flavor to help you stay full and satisfied! I got this idea from Ellie Krieger, the dietician chef!

4 100% whole wheat English muffins
4 thick slices of a beefsteak tomato
4 thin slices of low fat mozzarella cheese (if you are really trying to cut down on fat, you may omit this)
4 slices of Canadian bacon (which is actually a very lean alternative to the traditional breakfast meats like sausage and bacon, only 50Cal and 2 g of fat per slice)
chopped fresh herbs, I used chives and parsley
4 egg whites
4 full eggs (or you can just use all egg whites)

Beat the eggs in a bowl, add the chopped herbs and a dash of salt and fresh cracked pepper. Make the eggs as you would an omelette. You can either make 4 separate ones or one big one, and divide it into 4 equal parts.
Heat the Canadian bacon in skillet until browned a bit. Split and toast the English muffins. Then layer all the ingredients on the toasted muffin - egg, omelette, tomato, Canadian bacon, cheese.

Makes four servings! Pretty easy and tasty! And it's very filling!


No comments:

Post a Comment