Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Pork Tenderloin with Apple Cider Gravy

Not the best pic, poor lighting in my apt and I'm not a pro photographer!

I made this for Sunday dinner when we had Josh's parents over. This is a combination of Rachel Ray and Ellie Krieger recipes. I really like pork tenderloin because it is pretty lean and it cooks relatively quickly! Don't get confused with pork LOIN. Pork TENDERLOIN is a smaller and leaner. Each tenderloin on average weighs about 1 lb. So I made two tenderloins (2lbs) for four people on purpose so that I could have left overs for the next day!

I made this rub for the two tenderloins:
1 TB of the McCormick's Grill Mates Montreal seasoning. (You can find this at the grocery store and it's a great easy way to flavor meat)
2 tsp fresh lemon zest
2 TB fresh thymer leaves chopped

Rub a little olive oil around the tenderloins. Then combine the rub ingredients in a bowl and rub all over the tenderloins.
I seared the tenderloins on all sides in a hot skillet ( just until it was browned outside).
Place the meat in a roast pan or you can use a glass dish. Bake at 325 degrees for about 50 minutes. I believe it is about 25-30minutes each pound at 325 degrees. The best way to do it is to use a meat thermometer and take it out when the internal meat temp reaches 155-160 degrees. I didn't have a thermometer and this timing worked just fine.

Wait 10 minutes until you slice it. This helps the juice of the meat to stay inside, instead of run out. (Keeps it moist)


Apple Cider Gravy

4 tsp canola oil
2 shallots, minced
*Shallots are like a combination of a red onion and a garlic, at least that is what it looks like. I love them! They are great for making sauces. Very mild onion flavor, more tender and a little "sweeter" than an onion.
1 cup of apple cider
6 TB of chicken broth
1 TB of apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp of salt


Saute the shallots in the oil until tender. Add apple cider and reduce it until there are about 4 TB left of the liquid and the shallots are glazed with it. Add the chicken broth, vinegar, and salt. Mix until heated.
* I had a problem with this recipe. It wasn't as thick as I think gravy is, it was more liquidy. And it tasted a little too sour from the vinegar. But if you like it like that, then go for it!
So I added a few more tablespoons of EACH broth and apple cider (not vinegar), and a bit of cornstarch to the consistency I liked. Homemade gravy is great because it's pretty forgivable and fixable.

Little Tip: Mix the cornstarch in a cold liquid first(the broth and apple cider), then put it in the hot liquid(the gravy). If you put cornstarch straight in the hot gravy, it will make clumps. Mixing it in cold liquid first avoids the clumps.

I served this pork tenderloin with a mushroom rice (made with 1/2 white and 1/2 brown rice) and a green salad.



No comments:

Post a Comment