Wednesday, September 23, 2009

My Chicken Tortilla Soup




So now since it is officially FALL , I thought I'd make a soup for dinner! So Here is what I made. It was really quite easy. I used no recipe, so keep in mind the amounts I put in are estimates of what I used. Soup is really easy to make and difficult to mess up. So just taste it as you go and add more of whatever ingredients you think it needs. Everyone knows what tastes good to them!

MY CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP

1/2 onion, diced
1/2 jalapeno, seeds and ribs removed, diced (if you like hot, add the seeds)
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 TBS chili powder
1/2 - 1 tsp of cumin
about 32 oz carton of chicken broth, I used ALMOST all
about 1/4 cup salsa, I used the Tostitos brand
15 oz can of corn, drained
15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 chicken breast, cooked and shredded OR you can use rotissere chicken and shred it
cilantro and lime for garnish -Definitely use these it you like them, adds a yummy brightness to the dish!
crushed tortilla chips

Saute the onions, garlic, and jalapeno until onions translucent. Add onion powder and cumin. Cook for a minute. Add the chicken broth, salsa, corn and black black beans. Let simmer for a couple of minutes, then add chicken. Let simmer for about 15 minutes.

Garnish with the cilantro, some lime juice, and crushed tortilla chips!

Remember, you can add or take out whatever you like or dislike. This is just what I had at home in my kitchen. Taste as you go. This turned out pretty flavorful and I didn't need to add any salt. But do what you need to do to make it flavorful for you!

I served this with cornbread. I have this really yummy recipe that I use all the time for cornbread. Got it from The Essential Mormon Cookbook. Haha, its a book I got when my husband and I were married and actually got some pretty good recipes from it! It's more on the sweet side, and is soooo moist! You don't need to slather butter or anything on it.
For you weary-eyed health conscious folks, this is a good cornbread recipe, just try it! It can be the dessert, too! (P.S. the soup is relatively very healthy, just don't add the tortilla chips) You'll be just fine!

Corn Bread
1/2 cup of butter, room temperature-very important, so that it blends completely in batter, no butter chunks. (yes that is a full stick, that is what makes it soo good!)
1 cup sugar (yes, this too makes it very yummy)
2 eggs
1 cup yellow corn meal
1 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk

Cream butter, sugar, and eggs. In a separate bowl blend the flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking powder. Combine the wet mixture, dry mixture, and milk. Blend. Bake in greased 8 X 8-inch pan at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Makes 6 servings


No comments:

Post a Comment